Anirban Lahiri posts two-stroke win at Panchkula

Anirban Lahiri posts two-stroke win at Panchkula and Mukesh Kumar finishes runner-up:Panchkula, Haryana, April 2, 2011: Anirban Lahiri won the Aircel PGTI Players Championship presented by Panchkula Golf Club by two strokes after he came up with a five under 67 on Saturday. Lahiri ended the week with a total of 14 under 274. Mukesh Kumar, who fired a 68 in round four, finished runner-up at 12 under 276.

Anirban Lahiri (72-65-70-67) claimed his seventh victory on the Aircel PGTI thanks to a solid 67 in the fourth round. Anirban had a few hiccups at the start of the round as he bogeyed the third and fourth. He then came back strongly with eight birdies on the next 11 holes to close the door on his nearest challengers Mukesh Kumar and Rashid Khan.The 23-year-old Bangalorean’s round featured some consistent hitting and a couple of long birdie putts on the sixth (20 feet) and ninth (25 feet).

Lahiri said, “I played the par-5s really well today and didn’t let anyone get close to my score. I think the four birdies towards the end of yesterday’s round helped my cause a great deal.“The birdie on the 14th was one of the key moments in my round today. I drove it towards the right on the 14th but fortunately that shot flew the ‘out of bounds’ and landed 55 yards short of the green. I salvaged a birdie from that position after landing my second shot six feet from the pin.“It’s my second win of the year and thus keeps the momentum going for me.”

Mukesh Kumar’s (69-71-68-68) bogey-free 68 earned him second place. Rashid Khan (65-74-69-70) made five birdies against three bogeys in the final round to finish third at 10 under 278.Chandigarh’s Harendra Gupta shot a 70 in the final round to secure fourth place at eight under 280.Gaganjeet Bhullar and Brazil’s Adilson Da Silva were a further stroke behind in tied fifth

Comments